Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Springtime! Springtime! Springtime!

Today in the morning my bird-feeding board was visited by Mr. Hawfinch in person. What a beak, indeed! The Hawfinch was behaving friendly. All the Greenfinches, Siskins, Bullfinches, Tits and Nuthatches could hustle on as usual.

Greenfinch / Wikipedia

Nuthatch / Wikipedia

Last week, while driving to Tallinn, I noticed a Hawk Owl sitting on a power-line right beside the road. Some days later, in a nice and sunny morning I was watching Black Grouses at the edge of a bog. There were four distant Roe Deers and a Fox was sneaking around at a forest some hundred meters away. A Black Grouse cock was staring on a top of a tree. After a while another cock landed nearby and one more to the treetop. It wasn’t lekking yet, but quite obvious intent. On my way back I tried a shortcut, but the ice on the ditch didn’t hold any more and I found myself in the water up to my knees. An unhoped deja-vu it was - I felt myself like a schoolgirl again.

Ural Owl / Chris van Rijswijk

One night, when I was driving back home from Pärnu, a Ural Owl was flying across the road. Somewhat later a sleepy-looking Raccoon Dog was strolling to the roadside bushes, avoiding the beam of light.



Whooping Swans fly already over my house, White-backed Woodpeckers are drumming in the park and the water-level of the low reaches of the River Kasari is rising daily. This year is the first time when the Environmental Board has given us a special permission to organize canoe trips in the Matsalu National Park as early as from the 15 April. It is a marvellous time. The flood-plain of the River Kasari is full of bird-sounds - hundreds and thousands of migrating birds are arriving every day and stopping over here. There are Bewick and Whooper Swans, all kinds of Geese and Ducks ... everyone should get a first-hand experience. Ask Your friends out and book early - this beautiful time won’t last forever!
Our contacts:
info@naturetours.ee
+372 5349 6695

Geese / Jarek Jõepera

Flood

No comments:

Post a Comment